Here are few simple steps to create/secure /tmp partition on the server installed with Directadmin or plesk panel.
1 -> SSH the server as root.
2 -> Create the /tmp/tmpMnt using dd (the below example with create a 2.4 GB partition)
- # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/tmpMnt bs=1024 count=2500000
3 -> Make an extended filesystem (ext3) over /dev/tmpMnt
- # /sbin/mkfs -t ext3 /dev/tmpMnt
4 -> Backup the existing /tmp partiton
- # cp -R /tmp /tmp_backup
5 -> Mount the new /tmp filesystem with noexec
- # mount -o loop,noexec,nosuid,rw /dev/tmpMnt /tmp
6 -> Copy everything back to new /tmp and remove backup
- # cp -R /tmp_backup/* /tmp/ ; rm -rf /tmp_backup
7 -> Edit the /etc/fstab and add the following line at the bottom (Save & exit)
- # /dev/tmpMnt /tmp ext3 loop,noexec,nosuid,rw 0 0
8 -> Test it using the mount and umount commands
- # umount /tmp
# mount /tmp
9 -> List the partition and make sure it is added correctly
- # df -h
The output may look similar below.